Q:I spend so much time answering emails that I'm losing productivity in other areas. How can I become more efficient when it comes to managing my inbox?
A:Email is clearly an important part of our personal and professional lives today, and yet a lot of people spend up to an hour or two a day managing them.
Based on my work over the years with many of the world's largest corporations and most successful companies, I've identified these 10 best practices for managing your emails. They will increase your productivity and greatly improve your communication with others.
1. Determine what you want to accomplish.
2. Charge your emails with action.
3. Take advantage of the subject line.
4. Be clear and concise.
5. Make it easy on the receiver.
6. Use CC and BCC with caution.
7. Reduce the volume.
8. Get it “good enough” and get it out.
9. Think before you hit send.
10. Use the phone to avoid too much coming and going.